Raid the cheese board and turn leftovers into this comforting mac and cheese
- Cooking time: 24 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 400g macaroni
- 45g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 100g mature vegetarian cheddar, grated
- 175g Colston Bassett Stilton or vegetarian alternative, crumbled
- 50g cream crackers, crumbled, or dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a wide, ovenproof pan, melt the butter. If you don’t have an appropriate pan, just use a regular saucepan here and tip the sauced pasta into a baking dish at the end of step 4. Preheat the grill.
- Once the butter is foaming, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat, then gradually add the milk, whisking until the mixture is smooth. Return the pan to the hob and bring to a simmer, stirring continually, and season.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove it from the heat and add both lots of cheese, reserving a handful of Colston Bassett Stilton for the top. Stir until melted. Drain the pasta and mix into the cheese sauce.
- Mix the cracker crumbs, or breadcrumbs, with the thyme, walnuts, some seasoning and the reserved Colston Bassett to make the topping, and scatter on top of the pasta. Grill for 3-5 minutes, or until golden and crunchy