If you’re feeling hungover, our mushroom toastie with red onions, cheddar and blue cheese is the best thing since sliced bread.
- Oil for frying
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 80g button mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- A few thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- Knob of butter, plus extra for spreading
- 3 tsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 large slice sourdough bread
- 50g strong cheddar, grated (see Easy Swaps)
- 30g Colton Bassett slice
- Add a splash of oil to a non-stick frying pan, then fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and the knob of butter, then continue to fry, stirring every so often, until the mushrooms are golden brown. Season again with a little salt and add 2 tsp of the balsamic. Turn the heat down slightly and continue to fry for 2 minutes or so until the onions are nice and sticky. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp balsamic, then set aside in the pan to keep warm.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Toast the sourdough, then butter it and layer on the grated cheese. Put under the grill for 2-3 minutes until melted, then top with the sliced blue cheese and stick back under the grill for 1-2 minutes more until bubbling.
- Top with the mushrooms and onions, then serve scattered with a few more thyme sprigs.